tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 17:17:47 1996

RE: KLBC qay'wIj

jatlh Kontay:

>          I need some advice. I'm supposed to be the Linguist and Grammarian
>  or my ship as you people know from my intro and I don't know where to
>  begin. The crew doesn't even know how to say Tribble correctly. [. . .]
>  What I am asking is where do you guys think I should start and what kind of
>  format I should use. Thank you for your help in advance.

You might want to start with the language tapes, especially Conversational
Klingon, to help them with pronunciation.  I've found that people enjoy
starting out with the curses on the tape, although they get frustrated when
they don't know exactly what they mean.

After that, you might want to consider using some form similar to David
Barron's postal course.  I haven't taken it myself, so I can't tell you
exactly how it works.  Still, you should probably start out with "See Dick
run" complexity sentences, and work your way up from there.

That's about all I can usefully say on this topic (no one near me wants to
learn Klingon!  QI'yaH!).  You should ask others on the list, especially David
Barron, if he's listening.

SuStel
Stardate 96867.6

P.S.: {qay'} is not a noun, it's a verb.  Your subject line (did you write
it?) says *{qay'wIj}, which is illegal.  Of course, if you said {qay'wI'wIj},
it would mean "my thing which is a problem," or "my problem."

Back to archive top level