tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 11 18:49:06 1996

RE: KLBC Stating the subject and verb prefixes; use of KLBC

jatlh Eric Yarnell:

>  I am a little unclear after reading _The Klingon Dictionary_.  I believe
>  that the proper verb prefix must be used (in High Klingon) at all times.  I
>  just want to be sure this is true even if the exact subject is stated.

Yes, the correct verb prefix must *always* be added.

>  For example, would
>  puq legh jIH
>  be correct, or must it be
>  puq vIlegh jIH

{puq vIlegh jIH} is correct.  Of course, you have the option of leaving out
the {jIH} entirely, saying just {puq vIlegh}.  Since {vI-} always means the
subject is "I", you don't need to specify.

>  My second question is regarding the use of KLBC in the subject line.  Could
>  someone please explain this in a bit more detail?  Should I have used KLBC
>  in this message's subject line?

KLBC means that I, the Beginners' Grammarian, am alerted to the fact that this
letter needs my attention.  It also means that other beginners may find the
topic or grammar discussed helpful.  I've added KLBC to the subject of this
letter.

Further, only the BG should answer beginners' questions.  Once I've gotten to
answering it, please do add your own comments.  This system is here so that
the beginner can ask a question and get a definitive (well, usually right)
answer before possibly being confused by contradicting advice.

batlh thIngan Hol Daghojjaj!

SuStel
Stardate 96865.5

Back to archive top level