tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 11 18:48:32 1996

RE: KLBC:De'wI' ghaj jIH

jatlh Jimmy Johnson:

>  jajHovlIj'DaSIm chay'?

You are trying to ask "how do you calculate your stardates?"  You seem to have
sentence order down pretty well (put a space, not an apostrophe, in between
words), except for one thing: the question words {chay'}, {ghorgh}, and
{nuqDaq} come at the *beginning* of a sentence, not the end.

As far as your word {jajHov} goes, I read it as "day-star."  I used to say
{Hovjaj} for Stardate, but eventually decided it sounded kind of dumb, and
went back to just using "Stardate."  (I'd always used "Stardate" when writing
to my non-Klingon speaking friends.)

So, your sentence could be said as follows:

chay' HovjajlIj DaSIm?

>  Sun Tzu jabbI'ID DalaD? nuq DaQub?

HIja'.  *Sun Tzu* mu'tlheghmey vIlaD, 'ej Daj 'e' vIQub.  jangmo' ~mark,
jIjangbe'.  tlhIngan qonwI' rurlaw' *Sun Tzu*.

>    If I'm off-subject, tough.  This is about your stardate system.

tlhIngan Hol neH yIjatlh qoj tlhIngan Hol neH yIqel!

"stardate" patwIj DayajchoHmeH,
<http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli/stardate.html> yISuch 'ej yIlaD.  muja'
~mark <wa' Qagh vItu'.  *Julian* 'ISjaj Dalo'taH, 'ach *Gregorian* 'ISjaj
wIlo'taH.>  jIjang <bIlughchu', 'ach vatlh DIS poH loSDIch tIq law' latlhmey
tIq puS.  vaj ram Qagh.  chaq vIlughmoH.>

There!  That should put this back on topic!  :)

>                         Jimmy Johnson
>  P.S.  I haven't found a Klingon word for the supplanter( one who replaces)
>  which is what my name, James means.  Please help.

Well, "replacement" is {qa'meH} (HolQeD 5:1), although it literally means
"something that takes over for or is used instead of something that is gone or
that has been lost."

If you haven't and can do so, take a look at the FAQ under the choosing a name
section.  http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/faq.htm

SuStel
Stardate 96865.2

Back to archive top level