tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 10 21:06:15 1996

Re: KLBC: Let's try again...

jatlh SuStel:
> Your version is "d'ktahg.  Klingon warrior's knife of tradition."

I was actually trying to say, "The d'k tahg is the Klingon warrior's
knife of tradition," but forgot when I back-translated.  In any case, I
see your point.  I'm still too literal.  Like I said the first time, it's
hard to think like a Klingon!

> In Klingon, you've got to break your sentence up into manageable parts.
> It's not that it *must* be done, but the grammar just doesn't like to
> be twisted out of proportion like that.

Point taken and understood clearly.

> I can certainly see {may'Hom} as referring to a battle on the scale of
> a hand-to-hand combat.

I was unsure if that would work; I'm glad it did.

> {tay law'vaD lo'lu'}  "One uses it for many ceremonies."  You were
> obviously unaware of the word {tay} which is in the Addendum of TKD.

{qayajchu'}... I have the *old* blue TKD with the embossed BoP and
everything.  I'm about to get the new one ASAP, though.

> mIqIraH is a cool name.  batlh DawIvpu'!

qatlho'!  (Is this canon?  I've seen it used here before, and I know it
comes from "K'adlo" used in TNG.  {qa-}=I-you yields {tlho'}=thank, so it
seems to fit the grammar O.K... was it in the Addendum?  If not, thanks
in {DIvI' Hol}!)

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level