tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 07 17:32:47 1996

RE: KLBC: Quick question

jatlh taDI'oS HurghwI' je:

>  ghItlh HurghwI':
>  > If you have a word like lo'laH and you want to make it "to be able to be
>  > vauluable," are you allowed to use lo'laHlaH? This word in particular
seems
>  > vague because lo'laH (valuable) and lo'laH (able to use) are not quite
the
>  > same.  What about other suffixes? Basically I'm wondering if some of the
>  > words in the dictionary really have suffixes or just appear to.

It's a good question.  It's one of those problems which have been discussed
here on the list a number of times.

It's hard to tell, but my instincts have always told me that words listed in
the dictionary like {jubbe'} and {pujmoH} are there simply because they seemed
like obvious extensions to the language which would occur frequently.  It is
my opinion, but I don't believe that {pujmoH} is a seperate verb.  You can't
say *{pujmoHnIS}, you must say {pujnISmoH}.  My belief isn't proven anywhere
that I know of, but you certainly won't be wrong if you follow it!

>       Not answering KLBC, just adding to the question:  since laH is also a
>  noun, could this be one of those strange verb-noun mutations that we have
>  observed?  Like maSwov?

Hmmm!  I hadn't thought of that!  I'd always struggled over why {lo'laH} meant
"be valuable."  You may have it.  Of course, in that case, {lo'laHchoH} would
be a grammatically correct form for "it becomes valuable."  Interesting!

SuStel
Stardate    96854.1

Back to archive top level