tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 07 14:10:12 1996

Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"

 I am beginning an attempt at translating Sun Tzu's "The Art of
 War" into <<tlhIngan Hol>>.  Samuel Griffith, whose translation
 from the Chinese I am using, uses somewhat formal phrasing
 which seems not to translate into <<tlhIngan Hol>> easily, so I
 am finding it necessary to re-cast.  Below is Griffith's
 translation from the Chinese, then mine into <<tlhIngan Hol>>,
 then my back-translation from <<tlhIngan Hol>> to English.  I
 would appreciate comments and critique.  This is the first
 "verse" of "Estimates" (which I have rendered as <<veS bochov>>
 - You Assess War).

 Griffith:

 War is a matter of vital importance to the State; the province
 of life or death; the road to survival or ruin. It is mandatory
 that it be thoroughly studied.

 <<tlhIngan Hol>>:

 veS SaHqu' wo'. yIn Hegh je SaH veS 'ej tlhab je QIH SaH.
 yIHaghqu'!

 Back-translation:

 The empire is very concerned with war.  War is concerned with
 life and death, and it is concerned with freedom and
 destruction. Study it well!

Jeff Zeitlin                                      [email protected]
---
 � OLXWin 1.00b � If money talks, Being a SysOp is pretty quiet!

Back to archive top level