tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 02 13:27:45 1996

RE: KLBC - Trick or Treat

jatlh Adam:

>  jIH parHa' yIn
>  that suppose to mean "*I* like to live"

In Klingon, the object comes before the verb, and the subject comes after the
verb.  To say "I live," put the subject after the verb {yIn}.  However, in
Klingon you must also add the appropriate prefix to a verb.  The table of
prefixes is on TKD 33.  Cross-reference the subject with the object and add
the prefix to the front of the verb.  For "I live," the subject is "I" and
there is no object.  Look on the table and you'll see that the prefix is
{jI-}.  So I live is {jIyIn}.  If you want to make it very clear who is
living, you can add the pronoun: {jIyIn jIH} "*I* live."

Saying "I like to live" is a little more complicated, and you should study TKD
section 6.2.5, "Sentence As Object" before even attempting it.  I can outline
it below, and then try to match what I do with this section.

"I live" is {jIyIn}.

"I like it" is {vIparHa'}.  (See the prefix table again)

{'e'} is the sentence-as-object pronoun.

"I like to live" is the same as saying "I like that I live," or {jIyIn 'e'
vIparHa'}.

See if you can work out how I did this.  Remember, you should probably try for
simpler sentences when starting out.

>  choHoHvIp
>  You r afraid to kill me...do u?

You got this right: {choHoHvIp} is "You are afraid to kill me."  majQa'!

SuStel
Stardate 96840.1

Back to archive top level