tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 02 13:27:07 1996

RE: KLBC -vaD suffix

jatlh Tremal-Naik:

>  "I want to speak with you"... Is right "SoHvaD jIjatlh vIneH"? It can be
>  translated with "I want to speak for you" and I think that something is
>  wrong in my translation... How can I say "with"?

Try not to worry about exactly which English words you use.{-vaD} might mean
"to," "with," or "for," depending on the sentence.

Consider the sentence {jIjatlh} "I speak."  If you are speaking, there is
usually a recipient who listens to your talk.  This recipient is designated
with {-vaD}.  Note that I could translate {SoHvaD jIjatlh} as "I speak for
your benefit."  Whoever is receiving the result of your action is indicated
(if you need to do so) by {-vaD}.

>  And if I want to say:
>  "I give it to you"? Is right "SoHvaD vInob"

Precisely.

>  This is my last KLBC question. From the next mail I try to speak in
>  tlhIngan Hol. Excuse me if I made some mistakes...

Remember, KLBC is not only for questions!  If you post a story under KLBC,
I'll be happy to go over its language use with you!  It's also a good way for
other beginners to learn, too.  And, it'll keep the vultures away until I'm
done!  :)

SuStel
Stardate 96840.1

Back to archive top level