tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 01 06:55:48 1996

Re: -- No Subject --

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:32:35 -0800 Qov <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I'm sitting in hospital

Quite the parenthetical remark, Qov. Healing from some battle?

> thinking about -meH clauses (and writing in English
> because my husband has to transcribe this).  I have examined the TKD phrase
> (on p64) ja'chuqmeH rojHom, but I recuse the believe that ja'chuqmeH is
> modifying the noun.

I'm not wild about the example, since it is ambiguous and can be interpreted
either way. The purpose can be applied to the wanting or to the truce. Still,
I accept that in some other setting, it would make a difference and he has
give us the rule which would allow us to apply a purpose to a noun. I do not
anticipate ever using this rule, but perhaps circumstances will surprise me.
chaq nargh pabvam vIyajmeH mu'tlhegh.

> I'm getting frustrated with some of Okrand's examples through.  Too many
> seem to contradict the text.  If a beginner gave me Okrand's Klingon and his
> translations, I swear I'd hack most of it up, deleting a lot of 'pu's and
> 'taHs.

At one point at qep'a' wejDIch, when speaking on aspect and {-pu'}, Okrand
commented parenthetically that {-pu'} once meant past tense instead of aspect,
but nobody called him on it and he never explained. It could well be that he
wrote at least some of the examples before this change to the grammar.

> By definition, however, I must be the one who is doing it wrong.
> But in that case charghwI''s lovely FAQ is all wrong on the subject of
> aspect, too.  baQa'!  No wonder Mark was so quiet at qep'a', half-opened
> tons of gharghmey are everywhere.

It was exceptional that we got him to show up. If we confronted him with all
the inconsistancies and had him explain and correct everything, we would
surely neither get the answer we want, nor ever attract him to another qep'a'.
Better that he has a good time, gives us a couple words, stories and a little
clarification or two here and there, becomes more comfortable and familiar
with us, opens slowly a bit, communicating more.

The relationship between Okrand and KLI has slowly grown, and while
communication is still quite limited, it has never diminished. It has only
grown.

Perhaps the next time Okrand writes a dictionary, he can let ME write the
examples...

[A man can DREAM, can't he?]

> Robyn
>
> RES/rwr
> ---
> Qov (Robyn Stewart)   [email protected]    tlhIngan Hol ngotlhchu'wI'

Back to archive top level