tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 31 23:41:04 1996

Re: Sound

At 02:58 PM 5/31/96 -0700, you wrote:

> In a message dated 96-05-31 06:42:13 EDT, voqHa'wI' wrote:

nuqjatlh? nuq 'oH <EDT> jay?

I wrote:

>> I think you are looking for <Quylu'wI'>, or "That which is heard".

> Ick.  {Qoy} = "hear," not {Quy}.

I think that the first thing to notice here is that =I= did not write {Quy},
I just saw the translation above and [rather stupidly] just copied it.

> Also, whenever we see a verb with {-wI'} on it, it is translated as "thing
> which is," or "thing which does," etc. ...

Which is -exactly- why I like my translation. Since {Qoylu'} means
"it is heard", I thought that {Qoylu'wI'} would make a nice "thing which is
heard".

> This is a good example of the problem of trying to use {-lu'} and {-wI'}
> together.

Problem? I don't see one! [fishing for responses - this goes in the grammar
                           files once I get around to it :] ]

voqHa'wI' -- aka for once thinking he may actually be -right- on something
          -- aka but maybe not.
              [email protected]  / /     / / / /____/ // / / / \ \
       [email protected]  / /____ / / / // __  // /_/ /___\ \
  http://brucehall29.anu.edu.au/   /______//_/ /_//_/ /_//_____//_____/