tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 31 16:21:22 1996

Re: New here

~mark wrote:

>This seems to me to be the nub of the problem.  The trouble is that for all
>that we're studying Klingon, we're still Humans and Human-educated, and we
>feel funny without SOME way to open a converasation.

I use "Eee!" in Dutch, which could be translated as "Hey you!" Some people
say that's rude, but I just tell them to "fock jou!" (In dutch again) (c;{{{

>Things
>to say when you feel you must say SOMEthing, but don't know what to say
>(like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?).

That sounds quite precocious. (c;{{{

>By that reasoning, yes, nuqneH is a lousy substitute and shouldn't be
>used.  A Klingon with something to say would just SAY it, and a Klingon
>with nothing to say would shut the hell up (or remain the hell silent).  At
>worst, making allowances for our non-Klingon desire to chat, you might as
>well come right out and say "jISaH.  qa'Ijqang." or something like that.
>But it'd be a hard sell to the newcomers. :)  This last may be enough
>reason to cut slack.

Why couldn't you swear at a Klingon to get their attention? Swearing is an
honorable thing to do, (unless they beat you up) (c;{{{

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level