tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 31 16:27:16 1996

Re: Re[2]: Klingon writing tool

>>Actually they can trace all of the Roman type back to ancient Egypte. The
>>letter "A" that we use today, actualy derives from an ancient Egyption glyph
>>which was a drawing of a bull. Most other Romanized letters can be traced in
>>this same way.
>
>Actually, they weren't Egyptian glyphs, but Phonoecian.  Most modern
>alphabets eventually derive from the Phonoecian, which was, apparently,
>pictorial in origin (ox for A, house for B, camel's hump(?) for G which
>became C (and then G developed from it later), etc).  You can see it in
>Semitic languages (and in their letter-names and what they mean), and in
>the Greek Alphabet, and in Etruscan, from which Latin got its alphabet.
>And as I said, there are theories that the Phonoecian alphabet got it start
>from three-dimensional tokens, which later were pressed into clay, and then
>approximated by drawing.  These theories aren't even CLOSE to being
>universally accepted, though, and aren't even truly mainstream.  Just FYI.

Actually, they were Egyptian glyphs, but the Phonoecians borrowed it from
the Mesopotamians and Egypians, which was revered to as cuneiform,and
Egypians, this is ofter atributed to the Persians. But when the Phonoecians
started trading with the Egypians at Byblos, during the Egyptian 4th dynasty
(c.2613-c.2494), they, the Egyptians, soon eshtablished suzerainty over much
of Phonoecia. In 538 the Persians took controle over much of Phonoecia and
the lost controle when Alexander the Great conquered them, after conquering
parts of Egypte. Anyway the Romanized language used today come from the Romans,
 who conquered the Grieks,
 who conquered the Persians and Egyptians,
 who conquered the Phonoecians.
You see that the glyphs come from the Egyptians in the first place. Unless
you would like to argue that the civilization of Cathage had the glyphs or
some form of similar glyphs, before the Egyptians, but that would mean that
the Egyptians got the glyphs from Cathage via Phonoecia, which is most
unlikely because the Phonoecians didn't start colonizing in the area of
Cathage untill the end of the second millenium.

Hope that explains it, (I love ancient civilizations and read a lot.)

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level