tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 30 14:47:34 1996

Re: KLBC

On Sat, 25 May 1996 16:02:43 -0700 Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Laurel Beckley writes:
> >bISoptaH'a'   Are you eating?
>
> That's one way to translate the Klingon, but I think it ought to be
> translated with the "continuous" meaning made a bit more explicit:
> "Do you continuously eat?"  If you are trying to ask if someone is
> eating at the present time, remember that tense is unspecified.  The
> "are you" interpretation can just as easily be taken as "will you be"
> or "were you".   If you really mean "Are you eating now" you should
> probably ask {DaH bISop'a'?}

I agree. In fact, the way I interpret {bISoptaH'a'?} is rather humorous. Three days ago, I
visited you. You were eating. Two days ago, I visited you. You were eating. Yesterday, I
visited you. You were eating. Today, I visit and you are eating again. bISoptaH'a'?

If you want to make sure you are asking "Are you eating" instead of "Do you eat?" you might
consider {bISoplI''a'?}, though the suffix is not really necessary. At least it implies
that your eating has a goal (getting fed) and when you reach that goal, you will stop
eating.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'

Back to archive top level