tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 27 10:14:24 1996

Re: KLBC:Name that Song

At 10:04 PM 5/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>beHwI"av writes:
>>I think the other proposed translations do display the fundamental idea of
>>the sentence, yes, but not the essence.
>
>We apparently have a language barrier here.  I don't quite understand how
>you are distinguishing between "fundamental idea" and "essence".

With "fundamental idea" I mean the basic idea, the idea of central
importance or necessity, apposed to the essence with which I mean the
fundamental nature or quality, thus the difference is small, but significant
enough to allow for disparity.

>>I've always had this fixed picture
>>of the burning monk branded into my mind and because of this I could
>>understand the meaning that the very words portrait, to me, thus making it
>>inconceivable, for me, to convey "that" message.
>
>*What* message?  I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
>(I would say "babbling about", but I have a feeling the problem is at
>my end.)

The point that some body can believe so explicitly in a cause that they
would willingly laydown their live, to make public the atrocities that are
being commited towards a people in the name of civilization.

>>Just as when I hear the
>>name Stephen King, I can see some bloke digging up his son.
>
>That's a very narrow view of his work; do you think only of Yoda when the
>name George Lucas is mentioned?

In the above case, namely Stephen King, the thought that you call narrow, is
made up from the most horrific incident in the books that I have read of
him, I find the desicration of the grave of my children as being something
that is to sick for words. The latter, Geogre Lucas, inspires me to think
that the eternal struggel between good and evil is not black and white, but
merely a grey area, or as a friend of mine puts it "Shades of Grey", in
which you find that nothing is as concrete as one would think/hope it is,
thus making good and evil obsolete in any real world. Naturaly I don't
condone the irrefutable fact that don't people know this, thus I see that I
must show them to be wrong and understand what they mean, even if it puts me
in an endless argument.

>>I'm sorry I
>>can't show you the cover of the first CD, it would make it much easier.
>
>Though it is said that a picture is worth a thousand words, an artistic
>CD cover can probably be described adequately with a sentence or two.
>If you believe I would understand the phrase "rage against the machine"
>better if I knew what the CD cover looks like, please enlighten me.

On the CD you see a Buddist Monk burning, but what you should know is why.
During Vietnam there where people opposed to the fighting and distruction
that the Americans created in South-East Asia, naturaly the Americans didn't
see it that way. No, they where saving the little known country of Vietnam
for the terror and distruction that was, and is, called Comunisme. Twelve
Monks, seven male and five female, desided that to oppose the regime and to
bring to light the plite of thousands of innocent Vietnamese, naturaly in a
war there are no innocents, nor good and evil. So the Monks invited
journalists from around the world to come and watch them pour petrol over
themselfs and then set alight to themselfs. Trying to make a lasting comment
on the malicious acts of terror that the American goverment was enforcing
apon it's soldiersto commit against the citizens of a country halfway around
the world. An Native American soldier once commented that he didn't mind the
Euro-Americans being in Vietnam, but he just wanted them out of HIS country.

So when I see or her the words "Rage against the machine" this flashes threw
my head, together with the words of the singer "This song was writen to
celibrate the death of Richard Nixon, it's called 'Tired me'", "F**k you I
won't do what you tell me" and "Yes, I know my enemy, they're the teachers
that taught me to fight me, comprimise, conforimity, assimilation,
submission, ignorance, hypocracy, brutality, the Elite. All of which are
American Dreams..." And opposed to contrary believes he is not the destroyer
of "good", but the Whiter of Grey.

>>Perhaps you are right, that I cannot clearly understand the underlying
>>message, but as often is the case, others cannot understand my idea.
>
>I have complete faith in the power of language.  If you have an idea which
>you cannot clearly express using language, then I indeed suspect you do not
>have a clear understanding of your own idea.

No, I think that language hasn't got the power that you would atribute to
it, in time language will prove, as did stone tools, obsolete as the
expression of ideas and thought become more abstract, but untill that time
we are stuck will the tools that we have.

Anyway this is becoming to off subject and to big for the others on the
list. So with your and their consent I would like to close this or continue
this elswhere, in private or such.

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level