tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 25 15:55:33 1996

Re: KLBC

Laurel Beckley writes:
>jISopqang 'ach jISopnIsbe'   I am willing to eat but I don't need to eat.

maj.

>bISoptaH'a'   Are you eating?

That's one way to translate the Klingon, but I think it ought to be
translated with the "continuous" meaning made a bit more explicit:
"Do you continuously eat?"  If you are trying to ask if someone is
eating at the present time, remember that tense is unspecified.  The
"are you" interpretation can just as easily be taken as "will you be"
or "were you".   If you really mean "Are you eating now" you should
probably ask {DaH bISop'a'?}

>By the way, I haven't been able to figure out how to say "Turn off the
>lights".  I was puzzling over that the other night.

Since we don't have a simple translation for "lamp", this is a wonderful
puzzle.  {chu'Ha'} "de-activate" is probably readily understood to mean
"turn off", if you can decide how to describe what you want to turn off.

I like d'Armond's solution; ignore the device itself, and focus on the
desired result.  {yIHurghmoH} is fine; maybe {wov pa' 'e' yImev} would
work if you wanted to call attention to the fact that it's only bright
because something specific has already been happening.