tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 20 20:43:56 1996

Re: KLBC:Name that Song

beHwI"av writes:
>>>Sorry about the spelling mistake it was meant to be *encrypted*.
>>
>>qatlh ngoqHey Dalo'?
>
>Why do I apparently use {ngoq}?

Close:  Why do you use an apparent {ngoq}?

>Sorry, {ngoq} is not a word that appears in my TDK, or the HolQeD word list.

Look in TKD (not TDK) again, and remember that {ng} is a letter unto itself.
Words which begin with {ng} are listed after words which start with {n}.

>>>Would it be possible to substitute *against* for *directed at* or *projected
>>>at*, thus making it *Rage directed at (projected towards) the machine* or
>>>{mIqta' Hotlh yIQeH'a'} or {mIqta' Hotlh peQeH'a'}
>>
>>Where are you getting your word translations?  {Hotlh} is given in TKD
>>as "project, put on (screen)" -- it's not "project, throw, propel" the
>>way you appear to be trying to use it.  It's definitely not a pronoun!
>>You seem fixated on finding a translation for the word "against", and
>>there isn't one.
>
>Yes, I know, I meant it as "project, put on (Machine)". I assumed that the
>text between the brackets only was meant as a example, otherwise why would
>he not put that it would be only applicable to images.

It's there to specify exactly which kind of "put on" it means.  There's
another one: {tuQmoH} which means "put on (clothes)".  You can't use it
when you mean "put on (a coffeepot)".

> If I where to use the
>word {naghHom}, "pebble", in the sentence {jIH naghHom jIHotlh}...,

[This should be {jIHDaq naghHom vIHotlh}]

>...I wouldn't beable to translate it as
>                "I projected (as threw or propel) a pebble on the screen"
>                "I put (as in laid) a pebble on the screen"
>it would be     "I projected a pebble (as image) on the screen"

To "throw a pebble", you can {naghHom vo'} or maybe {naghHom baH}.
To "put a pebble", you can {naghHom lan}.
To "project a pebble (as image)" you can {naghHom Hotlh}.

>Why, that would make it a one use word and I don't get the feeling that it
>is a one use word, only projecting images.

Huh?  I don't follow what you mean by a "one use word".  Would {chap} be
such a word?  {vaQ}?  {Say'}?  Please elaborate on this complaint.  Notice
also that {Hotlh} has the additional meaning "scan", which goes along very
well with the "on screen" meaning.

>It would then be imposible, which
>it already is, for lack of the word against, for a Klingon to form an
>opinion on any subject pertaining to politics and war.

You've lost me here.  How can the fact that {Hotlh} means "put on (screen)"
and the lack of a direct translation for the preposition "against" (indeed,
for prepositions in general) have anything to do with politics and war?

[Klingon doesn't have prepositions.  You won't find Klingon words that can
directly translate the english words "in" or "under".  You have to use a
different grammatical tool to express the idea.]