tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 12:28:08 1996

Re: KLBC: Microsoft

According to Faber:

> >According to Faber:
> >>
> >> nuqneH,
> >>
> >>         SeattleDaq lupDujHom puV tera'ngan.  lupDujHomDaq chaH potlh
> >> tera'nganpu'.
> >
> >nuqjatlh? "In the little transport ship Terrans are important
> >them."? qatlh pa' <chaH> Dalan?
> >

> I couldn't find a word for an approximation of "other", so what that is
> supposed to mean is "In the shuttle there were important Terrans"

lupDujHomDaq tera'nganpu' potlh tu'lu'.

> >> law' 'engmey 'ej Dat chaH'e'.  vaj 'engmeyDaq poSmoHghach
> >> nargh 'oH.
> >
> ><vaj poSchoH 'engmey> vImaSqu'. <poSmoHghach> vIyajlaHbe'.
> >"The causation of being open"?
> >
> >> poSmoHghachDaq qach legh puVwI'.
> >
> >"In the causation of being open, the flier saw a building."?
> That should read "In the *opening*, the flier saw a building.

I know that is what YOU meant, but it is not what the sentence
means. {-ghach} nominalizes a verb with a suffix, applying the
nominalization to the aspect of the verb indicated by it
suffix. {poSmoH} is in TKD as "open", but since {poS} means "be
open", we can tell that {poSmoH} really means "cause to be
open", which is what the transitive verb "open" really means.

If I needed the noun "opening" in the sense of the place where
the clouds begin to open, I'd probably use {poSchoHghachDaq}.
Still, I see this as a somewhat pretentious, frilly word for a
Klingon to speak and for your sentence, it was unnecessary.
That's why I offered:

> >vaj poSchoH 'engmey. pa' qach legh puvwI'.

So, the clouds began to open. There, the flier saw a building."
Where else would {pa'} be referring? I just talked about the
clouds opening. Eyes are naturally drawn to the place the
clouds open. There, a building appears. Would you expect to see
a building somewhere IN the clouds? "Hey, there's an opening in
the clouds over there, but way back here, I see a building." If
that were the case, I'd never mention the fact that the clouds
became open. It would be irrelavent.

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.