tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 10:36:40 1996

Re: naj wovwI'

According to Mark E. Shoulson:
> >vImev. chaHvaD <'Iv tlhIH> vItlhob.  mulegh neH 'ej muja'be' qoj
> >muyajlaHbe'law'. yItqa' chaH.  quS'a'Daq ba'bogh nuv puS vIghoS.
>
> Probably "mubej" and not "mulegh" for "They just looked at me."  Right?
> I think the object of "ghoS" should be the route taken (cf canon: He chu'
> ghoS), not the thing approached.  With -Daq... but that's tricky with a
> - -bogh clause.  Simpler: vIchol.  Hmm... ghoS *is* translated "approach".

Actually, I think the object of {ghoS} usually IS that which is
being approached or which one moves away from. It is that which
is associated with a course or path, which is most often the
destination. Anyway, I'd translate {qu'S'a'Daq ba'bogh nuv puS
vIghoS,} as "I approached a few people who sat in a big chair,"
and probably change the word "big chair" to "couch". In this, I
think the object of approach is "a few people", not the couch.
In fact, that sentence would make just as much sense with the
first word left out entirely. "I approach a few people who
sit." "On a couch" just serves as a locative for the relative
clause. That's why we don't need {-'e'} tagged onto anything.
The verb {ba'} only has an explicit subject and no explicit
object, so we know that the head noun is {nuv}, which is acting
as the object of {ghoS}.

> >ja'chuqlaw' 'ej vIqagh vIneHbe'.  juppu'wI' tlhIH je chaH 'e' vISov.
>
> "tlhIH chaH je" qar'a'?

{... 'ej jIqagh vIneHbe'.} qar'a'? And the second sentence
already makes sense as "I know that they are you and my
friends." If you move {je}, since {chaH} is being treated as a
verb here, then {je} becomes adverbial and it becomes something
truely strange, like "I know that they are also the you of my
friends." taQqu', qar'a'?

> >vI*hum*.  pay' bom vIghovta'.  <Eidelweiss> 'oH.  chay' jay'? <tI
>
> A little style thing to think about: maybe "vI*hum*choH"

[Since Klingon singing is apparently chant-like, my mind locks,
trying to imagine what a hummed chant would sound like.]

> ~mark

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.