tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 05:35:45 1996

Re: Klingon writing tool

[Quoting Mark E. Shoulson]

> Then there's also considering the variations of typefaces.  Look at a
> standard Times Roman typeface: would you think it was drawn with a pen?
> With all those serifs and brackets?  OK, maybe.

No, not at all. Those were originally cut out of stone (marble and
such) with hammer and chisle (sp?). I never think of that Roman
typeface as being orginally a handwritten one. Just look at some old
Roman buildings...

> They were derived from hand-drawn glyphs, but the derivation is no longer
> obvious if you didn't see the earlier figures.  The same may be true of the
> Klingon font we have.  Maybe there are other typefaces that are closer to
> the original form, which might be brushed or stroked or whatever.

This is of course a valid point.

--
Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/247.5@Fido, 162:100/100.2@Agora,
     74:3108/101.5@QuaZie, 27:2331/201.5@SigNet, 606:3130/200.2@F1-net