tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 17 10:10:32 1996

Re: Cannon for Multiple Consonants

[email protected] (Sa' qIQwI') writes:
\ >Basically, Okrand put some information in TKD, which he published.
\ >Some is in CK and PK and TKW; not all of it is collected in any
\ >one place "officially"
\
\ What a pity, that would be something useful for KLI to do.
\
\ >some of it is collected more neatly in the pages of HolQeD.
\
\ A classic sales trick. Buy the basic things at low
\ price and then discover that it's insufficient.
\ Once you've been hooked you have to buy the rest.
\ e.g. The prices of mobile phones is coming down...
\ but *using* them becomes more expensive.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I resent the implication that
the KLI is pulling a "sales trick".  Before the KLI, there was NO way
for us to get information from Marc Okrand short of picking up the
phone and calling him ourselves.  There was no central clearinghouse
for tlhIngan Hol information from other sources, and there sure as heck
didn't seem to be anything forthcoming from Paramount (this was before
_CK_ and _PK_).  Now there is such a central repository.  And
maintaining it takes time and money and Lawrence et al. are certainly
deserving of being compensated for that.  "Non-profit" is not just
legal jargon; it means that any profit shown by the KLI goes
back *into* the KLI and not into Lawrence's pockets.

Note that if all the information in _HolQeD_ becomes available for
free, then people will stop subscribing and the KLI will be unable to
continue its role.  I don't think anyone wants that to happen.

Given the number of accumulated back issues, now might be a good time
to consider offering collections of material previously published in
_HolQeD_, all bound together in a single volume, for a significant
discount over the individual back-issue rate. Is that doable?
Lawrence?

As far as the whole copyright issue goes, it's murky water, and
Paramount is guaranteed to interpret things in its favor wherever
there's any doubt.  Languages, in general, don't get published all that
often...

-marqoS

Back to archive top level