tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 17 09:41:02 1996

Re: Cannon for Multiple Consonants

~mark:
>>From: [email protected] (Sa' qIQwI')
>>tIq vIngIpmo' jIQoSbej, but I refuse to feel guilty for=20
>
>"I'm certainly sorry I borrowed a heart"?  I think I'm missing the point of
>this maxim.

Oops, I realized there are *two* words for long... and it
seems I've forgotten a crucial word... let me rephrase:

nI' poHlIj vIngIpmo' jIQoS    ...I mean:
jIHmo' poHlIj Dalo'pu' jIQoS

- any better now?

>>Or is it all copyrighted merchandise like computer programs?
>>Can I use non-TKD words if I haven't paid for the licence?
>
>I note that you have to pay for TKD also; it's no more free than HolQeD.

The question was: Do I need to buy TKD/HolQeD/etc. to get
a licence to use Klingon?  Or is it allowed to use Klingon
if learnt from other sources?

I didn't pay anything for TKD.  I got it from a friend who
had an idle copy.  Same for CK amd PK.

>Basically, Okrand put some information in TKD, which he published.
>Some is in CK and PK and TKW; not all of it is collected in any
>one place "officially"

What a pity, that would be something useful for KLI to do.

>some of it is collected more neatly in the pages of HolQeD.

A classic sales trick. Buy the basic things at low
price and then discover that it's insufficient.
Once you've been hooked you have to buy the rest.
e.g. The prices of mobile phones is coming down...
but *using* them becomes more expensive.

>Okrand has also made other information
>available through HolQeD, using that as his medium.

If that's the only medium Klingon will never become
too a popular language... well, who wants that anyway.

>Note, too, that although the KLI is non-profit,

"Non-profit" is merely legal jargon...

>that doesn't mean it's non-expenses; it has to pay its bills too.
>If you want information about something, you buy the book, right?

No, books are expensive.  I check out the public library and
internet first, where plenty of information is available free.

>What's the problem, then?

The business is low and my private company is knee-deep
in debt.  I haven't got a regular salary ever since 1990.
That IS a big problem to me.

>~mark

Sa' qIQwI'

Back to archive top level