tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 17 09:40:24 1996

Happy to kill you

Adrian Luca (Captain Ady) writes:
    >>I am happy to kill you !

charghwI' (Alan Anderson) prefers:
    >{qaHoHchugh jIQugh} "If I kill you, I am happy."
    >{jIQughmeH qaHoH} "I kill you in order to be happy."
    >Better to pick a different thought, I think:
    >{batlh qaHoH} "I will kill you with honor."

~mark (Mark Shoulson) suggests:
    Yes... Or try "qaHoHmo' jIQuch!"

And now marqem (Mark Mandel) adds his DeQ cha' vatlhvI':
    <qaHoHqangqu'>

After all, "I'm happy to do X" or "I'd be happy to do X" normally
expresses willingness. It's not {actual happiness}, but {potential
happiness, contingent on my doing X}, and even that's only the
literal meaning.

~mark's suggestion, "qaHoHmo' jIQuch!", implies that the speaker
is definitely going to kill the addressee, or is definitely
killing him/her. That's fine if that's what you want, but in the
original context, and as the discussion has developed, the
sentence seems more like an (enthusiastic) offer, and {strong
willingness} conveys that sense well.

<qang> is one of the less-used suffixes. I think we should be
looking for ways to expand our use of our resources within the
canonical description. As a general rule of language learning,
thinking of words in terms of their translation limits the learner
unnecessarily, and this is even truer with affixes.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St.: Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/

  | KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html |