tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 20:21:52 1996

Re: Advantages of a limited lexicon

ghItlh wovwI':
>"You speak Klingon very well" vIjatlh vIneH, 'ach tlhIngan Hol
>vIlo'taHvIS ngeDqu'mo' <batlh tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh> vIja'.

>Hmmm.  What does a pabpo' think of translating <vIja'> as "I said
>that" above.  "I said it" seemed unnecessarily ambiguous in English,
>so now I wonder if the Klingon is too ambiguous also.

I don't know if it's *too* ambiguous.  I saw this sentence as
"...but because it is very easy while I'm using Klingon, I said
'You speak Klingon with honor.'"  I'm apparently connecting the
quoted phrase to a different verb than you intended, but the
idea didn't suffer.