tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 09:42:31 1996

Re: Phonology once again (was: Re: qaSovlu' jIneH)

[email protected] writes:
\ I most certainly don't have the idea that he is trying to give a discription
\ for the speakers not familiar with a glottal-stop. Correct pronounciation of
\ the word would explain it better than "echoed vowel", thus glottal-stop
\ becomes glo'l'-stop, with the {-'} carrying out the same function as the
\ {-'} presant in the Klingon language. In this case one would hear the two
\ glottal-stops immidiatly, the first being an abrupt ending of the {o}-sound,
\ the second being the short echoing of the {l} sound, most commenly found at
\ the begining of the word "La".
I'm not sure I understand the point here.  "glottal" is only pronounced
/glo?@l?/ in certain dialects of British English.  In American English,
it's pronounced /glot@l/ or /glod@l/, with no glottal stop anywhere.
And if you try to use the glottal stop after the 'l' as an example,
which is not pronounced by all speakers anyway, first you have to
convey the semivocalic nature of the /l/ sound itself . . .

I still think that Okrand's description was an attempt to teach
people who have trouble with a syllable-final /?/.  (I think charghwI's
"imagine that you get hit in the stomach with a football just at the
end of the syllable" is a good description, actually. :))

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed                     |             http://www.sware.com
Email: [email protected]  |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level