tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 13 16:09:21 1996

Re: wovwI"s theory about pIqaD

In a message dated 96-05-13 18:11:43 EDT, wovwI' wrote:

>So one group of Klingons develops a
>writing system.  Another group steals it, but doesn't get all the
>characters, or uses the characters to represent different phonemes.
>Another develops more letters to represent the way they pronounce
>things differently.  One group uses a squiggle to represent a glottal
>stop.  Another group considers stopping or not stopping after the
>vowel to be an intrinsic character of the vowel, and therefore has
>two symbols for each vowel.

I saw an interesting interpretation of pIqaD at the I-Con convention last
month.  Although the Klingons there were less than informative, I grabbed a
flyer.  One of them had developed a pIqaD which had all of the characters in
the same mapping the KLI pIqaD has.  Further, some of the other characters on
the KLIpiqaDmey font (the lower-case ones) were used, to represent sounds
like {oy} and {agh} or whatever.  It just reminded me just how different
pIqaD may or may not be from what we might expect!  If anything, a simple
one-to-one representation would be efficient, but boring.

SuStel
Hovjaj 96366.7

Back to archive top level