tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 13 12:39:50 1996

wovwI"s theory about pIqaD

No, pIqaD isn't skinny at one end, fatter in the middle and
skinny again at the other end.  There are enough Monty Python
references in this group.

My theory is that the same pIqaD is not used the same way by all
speakers of tlhIngan Hol.  Literacy is an important weapon for a
society to have, so it would be stolen, pirated, emulated and
much corrupted in the process.  So one group of Klingons develops a
writing system.  Another group steals it, but doesn't get all the
characters, or uses the characters to represent different phonemes.
Another develops more letters to represent the way they pronounce
things differently.  One group uses a squiggle to represent a glottal
stop.  Another group considers stopping or not stopping after the
vowel to be an intrinsic character of the vowel, and therefore has
two symbols for each vowel.

To me this is plausible based on Human languages, and I just deleted
a list of examples because my posting was getting too long.

I created this explanation to absolve myself from having to use the
KLI's system: I think the squiggle representing the glottal stop
spoils the effect of the glyphs.  And I need an explanation as to why
we can't read, or even recognize all the characters in, what's shown
on the shows.  This way I can happily tolerate every Klingonist and
set designer doing different bizarre things with the characters, or
any character he can think of.  I just have to ask him or her to read
it aloud to me.  <nuqDaq leQ?  pIQaDlIj vIlaDlaHbe'>
Robyn Stewart                  [email protected]
NLK Technical Library          "What you need to know"
NLK Consultants Inc, 855 Homer Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 5S2 *Canada*

Back to archive top level