tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 12 10:04:07 1996

Re: I am back again [KLBC]

macheq writes:
>I am back again (I cannot say it in tlh.H.)

Try {jIchegh} "I return" or {jISaHqa'} "I am again present".

>Hu'puS, tera Hogh jajDaq cha', nIH ghopwIj 'e' vighor.

If you want to be vague, {Hu' puS} works for "a few days ago", but it
is two separate words.  [I'll forgive the misspelled {tera'}.]  We use
{-Daq} as a *spacial* locative; if you want to specify the *temporal*
setting, you can just put the date or time in there by itself.

Which is the "second" day of the terran week?  Some calendars begin
with Sunday, some with Monday.  You apparently *don't* want to be vague,
so you should have been more precise when you used {Hu'}.

{'e'} is not appropriate here.  {nIH ghopwIj} is a noun which is the
object of the verb {ghor}; {'e'} is used when the object is an entire
sentence and the action of that sentence is what is being acted upon.

>vaj wa'maH Qap jajmey tlhab 'e' vIghajpu'.

{Qap} is a verb meaning "succeed" -- I think you mean {Qu'} "chore".
Again, {'e'} is not appropriate in this sentence.  I'm not too sure
about the use of {tlhab} here -- I know what you mean, but it's not
sitting right in my mind.  You're being very terse here, and I would
find it a lot easier to understand this if it were a little more verb-
centric.  Overusing {ghaj} is a trap; instead of "I have had free days",
you could say "I have not been required to work":
{vaj qaStaHvIS wa'maH jaj jIvumnISbe'pu'.}

>jIghItlhlaHbe' 'ach jIlaDlaH. vaj tlhIngan Hol vIHaDtaH.

maj.

>tlhIngan Hol mu'tay'wIj vIghItlhta'be.

"I didn't accomplish writing my Klingon language vocabulary."
I don't think {mu'tay'} means "lexicon"; for that we have {mu'ghom}.

>vaj tlhIngan Hol mu'ghon vIlaDbe' 'ej tlhIngan tIgh 'e' DaH vIyajchoH!

Once again, {'e'} is inappropriate here.  Adverbials such as {DaH} are
placed *before* the object, except under special circumstances when the
object is topicalized by the *suffix* {-'e'}; see TKD's addendum section
6.7, and recognize that there is a typographical error.  {HaqwI''e'} is
obviously supposed to be one word.

I don't understand this as saying you are able to understand TKW without
using TKD.  There's no mention of ability, and nothing to tie the ideas
of "not using TKD" and "understanding TKW".

>Is in all cases my use of {'e'} 1. correct 2. necessary?

Neither, actually.  See TKD 6.2.5 for an explanation of the correct usage
of the pronouns {'e'} and {net}.

>I tried to translate *Monday* as {tera Hogh jaj cha'}.

Not everyone agrees on which is the first day of the week.  "Monday" is
a name, and doesn't translate easily; you might as well just say it in
English (or French, or Spanish...).  Better yet, be specific either about
what date the event occurred, or how many days ago it happened.

>Do I put {Daq} correctly ?

I don't believe {-Daq} belongs on time-related words.  The examples we
have of its use apply it to physical locations, and we do have canon
use of time stamps with no special suffix treatment.