tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 03 18:23:39 1996

Re: New words in HolQeD 5.1

>According to Anthony Curran:
>>
>..
>> Since we are displaying our knowledge of biology, I have something to point
>> out to ghunchu'wI'.  The extertnal portion of the ear, <qogh> in tlhIngan
>> Hol, is called the "pinna" of the ear.
>
>My Concise Oxford says it refers to the UPPER part of the
>external ear. I presume that means the part of the ear not
>described by the word "lobe", such that the pinna and the lob
>would combine to mean {qogh}.

Your Concise Oxford is making a distinction which is not made by
anatomists.  Gray's Anatomy states that the entire external expanded
portion of the ear, including the lobe, is called the "pinna" or "auricle".
Thus, I think we would be safe in saying that "pinna" and <qogh> would be
synonymous.  {{:)

>> Anthony Curran

>charghwI'
>--