tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 03 20:57:57 1996

Re: Hobbies + KLBC

nuqHm writes:
>You think you guys (and guy-esses) have problems explaining that you are
>honourably learning tlhIngan Hol - I work in a student bar !

Is this a bar for students in general, one staffed by student bartenders,
or what?

>Half the punters (I'd like a translation of "PUNTER" - as in customer, but
>slightly more patronizing please !), think that I'm a total BOZO, and the
>other half ARE total bozos !

Hmm...  The bozos are the ones that *don't* think you are a bozo? :-)

>OK - now for the KLBC bit...
>
>chom jIH        - I'm a bartender

maj.

>chomghojwI' jIH - I'm a student bartender (ambiguous - I'm a student and a
>                   bartender and/or I'm a bartender in a student bar)
>I'm sure this is OK...

More like "I'm studying to be a bartender," I think.  Ambiguous indeed.

>wa' HIq HInob ! - Give me a beer !

"Give me one beer."  I'd drop the {wa'}.  Then it might mean either
"Give me beer" or "give me a beer" or "give me the beer," all fine.

>Now for what I tend to use at 11:20 p.m. ...
>
>naDevvo' yIghoS - <excuse me is I paraphrase> - You (singular) Bugger Off
>                                                Home !
>and...
>
>naDevvo' peghoS - <ditto but plural BOZO PUNTERS !>
>
>Oddly enough, the last two seem to work !

They should -- they're better than what we usually get from the TV show.

Back to archive top level