tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 28 18:38:28 1996

Re: To and From

peHruS asks:
>How would I say:  I translate from English into Klingon.

If you're having problems with the word "into", don't use it.
{chenmeH tlhIngan Hol mu'tlhegh DIvI' Hol mu'tlhegh vImugh}

>I exchange Federation money for Klingon money.  {-vaD} refers to something
>"intended for."  And, I have trouble making that fit for this meaning.

If you're having trouble making {-vaD} fit, maybe {-meH} is more appropriate.
{tlhIngan Huch vISuqmeH DIvI' Huch vItam}

>I have traveled from the forest to the city.

{ngemvo' vengDaq vIlengta'} or {...vIlengpu'}, depending on your intent.
This one is straightforward.

>Perhaps these three are enough examples for me to learn how to express "from
>one point to another point."

Rarely do concepts translate directly from English to {tlhIngan Hol}, but the
concept "from here to there" is one of the rare ones which do.