tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 27 10:53:46 1996

My two cents.

Well, folks, I haven't been able to help on most questions, but it so
happens that I have a friend here at my University who is a freshman
with fourth-year German knowledge, and she says that the sentence you
were all discussing -- "Ich wohne nicht" (I hope I spelled that
right) is an acceptable sentence gramatically speaking, but that it
is admittedly vague. She says that you should either (1) put in a
place, or (2) make sure that the context clarifies that the person
has no permanent residence, but is a nomad or hobo. In a very
roundabout way, it is similar to the English sentence "I do not fall"
in that the sentence in and of itself is acceptable, but it could be
interpreted to mean "I do not fall at this moment" or "I never fall"
depending on context. It's okay to say it, but it's unclear.

However, now I have a question. Why are we discussing German instead
of Klingon? Is there a parallel sentence that started this discussion?

                                                    Rridma

Back to archive top level