tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 25 20:16:05 1996

Re: KLBC: message for a friend

~Doq writes:
>HaqwI' bangDaj pegh HoD ghaH

"The captain's him/her keeps secret the surgeon's his beloved."

Using a noun-noun possessive and a possessive suffix at the same time,
as in {HaqwI' bangDaj}, is very confusing.  If you are trying to refer
to "the surgeon's beloved", you don't use {-Daj}.  One noun simply
follows the other: {HaqwI' bang}.  See TKD sections 3.3.4 and 3.4.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by {HoD ghaH}.  I have a feeling that
pronouns don't fit as the second verb of a possessive construction.  If
you let me know what you're trying to say, I will be better able to help
you say it.

I'm not sure {pegh} is transitive, but if it is, this is probably the
way it would work.

This is sufficiently garbled that I can't tell what you mean, so I can't
suggest a better way to say it.

>HoD bangDaj pegh HaqwI' ghaH

"The surgeon's him/her keeps secret the captain's his beloved."
The above comments apply to this sentence equally well, since all you've
done is swapped {HoD} and {HaqwI'}.

>yIvem ghew! pevem Paramount!

"Wake up, bug!  Y'all wake up, Paramount!"

If you consider a corporate entity to be plural, this is grammatical, but
I don't understand it very well.  What are you trying to say?

I'm afraid that without knowing what you're getting at, I can't give much
constructive advice.  Please, if you suspect that your sentences are going
to have many errors, include an English translation so I can help guide
your use of the grammar and vocabulary toward something that makes sense.
(This goes for *all* beginners.  Babbling incoherently is not a good way
to learn.)