tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 22 15:18:26 1996

Re: Oathing.

>I have a quick question and a newbie request.
>
>First off the muse where I play, A lot of people sign on and the first
>thing out of there mouths is nuqneH. Now if It translates as 'what do
>you want' isnt that the same thing as me going up to you and asking you
>what you wanted. "Ive been responding 'A side of fries btw.'". Is there
>a better way to announce your arrival than that?

I, also, dislike "nuqneH" as a generic greeting.  In the strictest sense,
Klingons do not greet each other.  They just state their business.  If
someone walks into the room and does not immediately state his business,
then saying "nuqneH" seems appropriate.

Often, I start official requests with "qarI'", or "qarIneS" if I'm
addressing a superior, which means "I hail you."  Basically saying I want
to get thier attention.  I don't often use it face to face, as a greeting.
Since I'm doing something un-Klingon, I use "Howdy".

>Ok now my request. I have to do the oathing of my daughter QI'tu' of
>house quvro' to Marcus son of qoSneH, of house qolIQoS. If anybody can
>email me a quick ceremony Id really appriceate it. Also after getting
>only two editions of the Digest, I have come to the conclusion that even
>my english is not good enough to study klingon yet. :)

Try this Gramps.  "QI'tu' Saw'a' Marcus?  Marcus nay'a' QI'tu'?  vaj
tlhoghraj wIghov."  "Marcus, do you marry QI'tu'?  QI'tu', do you marry
Marcus?  Then we recognize your marriage."  Short, simple, to the point.

>Choq vav qorDu quvro'
>[email protected]

Anthony Curran

qo'ran