tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 21 09:36:18 1996

Re: Star Trek: Klingon

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 00:54:45 PST,
[email protected] ("Rich M.") wrote:

When is Star Trek: Klingon being released?  Unfortunately, I have
a Macintosh so I can expect to wait "several turns" before I can
get my grubby little ghopDu' on it.
BTW, Gowron is supposed to be the "tutor" on this program.  No
disrespect to his eminence, but couldn't they have found a Klingon
with better pronunciation?  I just saw Way of the Warrior again
and reallyth listened to him.  Well, let's just say he's no Marc
Okrand in the pronunciation department.  THIS is our great
teacher??!?  ghuy' cha'!!!
<<<<<

I was in charge of the linguistic part of building the speech
recognition for the Language Lab on this product. I'll repeat here
part of the report I posted to this list on Feb. 16:

  Okrand coached O'Reilly through the [video]taping session. I
  have the audio of those clips. His pronunciation is in general
  pretty good, good enough so that many of the differences from
  Okrand's could fairly be attributed to legitimate differences in
  accent within the official dialect, personal style, and
  emotion/force of pronunciation (prolonged vowels and such).
  There are some systematic and individual clunkers, but O'Reilly
  deserves our respect for the effort and attention he gives to
  Klingon. Okrand certainly thinks highly of him for this. Many of
  us on this list are professional or amateur linguists and/or
  polyglots, with a knack for languages and maybe years of
  training and practice in producing un-English speech sounds, and
  we should bear in mind that most people, including most actors,
  don't have these advantages. O'Reilly is also operating at an
  imposed disadvantage: Okrand told me he said, during the taping
  session, "As long as I'm wearing these teeth, this is the best I
  can do!"

batlh nughojmoH!

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level