tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 20 07:54:33 1996

Re: This Stone Thread; SOLVED!!

>Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:45:58 -0800
>From: david barron <[email protected]>

>Did you gents not get my post where I found a solution with which
>I was perfectly satisfied?

>nagh lanbeHlu'bogh

>Here the stone is ready to be PLACED!!!
>It makes sence to me.
>I welcome your critique.

Hmm.  I like it and I don't.  On the one hand, it makes a certain amount of
sense.  But on the other hand, -beH is generally a reference to the
*subject*.  "HoHbeH", it is set to kill.  "lI'beH" it is configured to
transmit.  "pumbeH" it is set up to fall.  But with the -lu' construction,
the subject is indefinite.  Using -lu' does *NOT* change the object into
the subject.  The rock is *still* the OBJECT of the verb, and as such may
not be subject to being described by the -beH suffix.  Pretend the -lu'
suffix weren't there, and the subject were definite (or perhaps is stated
as "vay'").  The sentence still has the SAME grammar, but using -beH no
longer makes any sense.

~mark

Back to archive top level