tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 20 08:31:56 1996

Re: This Stone Thread; SOLVED!!

~mark replies to dbarron:

> >Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:45:58 -0800
> >From: david barron <[email protected]>
>
> >Did you gents not get my post where I found a solution with which
> >I was perfectly satisfied?
>
> >nagh lanbeHlu'bogh
>
> >Here the stone is ready to be PLACED!!!
> >It makes sence to me.
> >I welcome your critique.
>
> Hmm.  I like it and I don't.  On the one hand, it makes a certain amount of
> sense.  But on the other hand, -beH is generally a reference to the
> *subject*.  "HoHbeH", it is set to kill.  "lI'beH" it is configured to
> transmit.  "pumbeH" it is set up to fall.  But with the -lu' construction,
> the subject is indefinite.  Using -lu' does *NOT* change the object into
> the subject.  The rock is *still* the OBJECT of the verb, and as such may
> not be subject to being described by the -beH suffix.  Pretend the -lu'
> suffix weren't there, and the subject were definite (or perhaps is stated
> as "vay'").  The sentence still has the SAME grammar, but using -beH no
> longer makes any sense.

Okay, I get your point.
It seems to raise a paradox if you think about it.
Now I wonder if its worth thinking about.

I guess my question is "If you were a Klingon would you understand it?"
Is it ungramatical?
Can you offer a better suggestion?

> ~mark

david
--
 David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level