tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 12 10:16:49 1996

Re: Time (Out)

>Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 06:55:19 -0800
>From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>

>Wow, let's keep going.  Will we admit /wanI' ghorgh/, /meq qatlh/, and
>/Daq nuqDaq/ as well?  Granted, it's hard to imagine what the English
>counterparts would be, but they'd be *syntactically* correct in Klingon
>(if question words as a category can function as pronouns-as-verbs).  The
>question remains to whether they'd make any semantic sense.

I don't know that it follows that all question-words can function as verbs
if some do.  The question-words are all chuvmey, and not all chuvmey behave
the same (some act like pronouns, some adverbs, some numerals, som
conjunctions, etc).  More likely all that's being proposed is that "'Iv"
and "nuq" be classed to behave the same as the pronouns do (which is
reasonable, given their meaning) and be able to be verbs.  "ghorgh" and
"nuqDaq" and "qatlh" are adverbial and not pronominal in meaning and need
not be included in anything that involves nuq and 'Iv.

~mark

Back to archive top level