tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 14 11:56:40 1996

Re: Time (Out)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Holtej wrote:
> Hmm, assuming them as pronouns-as-verbs, could one say /Duj 'Iv/ for
> "whose ship"?  Because if we'll admit /Duj nuq/ for "which ship", we're
> stuck with /Duj 'Iv/ as well.  Maybe that's a good thing; but it sounds
> ill-formed to my tender ear.

I'm following the (oft-repeated) discussion of "Question Words as Verbs"
with interest.  But to branch off on a different topic, I just realized
something.  Can we say 'Iv Duj and count it as a noun-noun construction?
TKD sec 6.4 says, "The question word fits into the sentence in the
position that would be occupied by the answer."

'Iv Duj wIpuv     Whose ship are we going to fly?

As far as I know, this fits all grammar rules that we know of.  The only
thing that worries me is the later sentence in 6.4 that says, "Both 'Iv
and nuq are TREATED as nouns as far as the pronominal prefixes are
concerned," (emphasis added) possibly indicating that because they aren't
nouns the prefixes shouldn't be used in a noun-noun construction.

Although, I do have to say, I have no idea what nuq Duj would mean.
Certainly not "which ship".

What do you guys think?

janSIy

Back to archive top level