tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 09 08:04:30 1996

Re: asking

I was reading Dave Barron's great {lut'a'} in {jatmey}, and something
in it sent me to TKD, where I think I've found a very common error.
I'd like your opinions on this.

I've always used {tlhob} to mean "ask a question", but the Addendum
actually defines it as "request, ask, plead".  This leads me to think
that {tlhob} can only be used for "ask *for* (something)".  So I would
guess that {yu'} "question, interrogate" would be the verb meaning
"ask a question".

(Actually, given the other meanings of {tlhob}, it's probably somewhat
pejorative.  A true warrior would probably use {poQ} or {qap} instead.)

Does this seem reasonable?

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level