tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 10 18:36:23 1996

Re: TKD 4.4.

ghItlh peHruS:
[...]
>In conclusion, I see {puq mach} as being a little like:  "the smallness of
>the child."  Now, before this gets blown all out of proportion, I do NOT
>claim to be changing {mach} into a noun; it is still a Stative Verb meaning
>"small."  Thus, we get "the small child," just as in English when we use an
>Adjective to modify a Noun.  But, in Klingon, the Stative Verb merely ACTS as
>a Noun 2.

ghobe'!  not vIlaj!  mujba'qu' qechvam!  'oH yIHarQo'!

In a noun-noun construction, the second noun is the important one.
{puq mach} means "the small CHILD" -- the phrase refers to the child.
If you [mis]interpret it as "the smallness of the child" you instead
are focusing on the smallness.  A noun that is followed by a stative
verb which is acting adjectivally is *in no way* similar to a noun that
is followed by another noun.