tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 07 20:33:15 1996

Re: KLBC Mouk-to-vor

qeSmIv HarghwI' writes:
>>>ghopDu'Daq ngaSwI' ghaj wor'Iv  ngaSwI'Daq MeQ 'adanjI
>>...I don't know what {'adanjI} means, but it obviously has a flame.
>     I was looking for the word "hold."  They are facing each other, not
>moving, and Worf has an incense burner in his hands.  Perhaps if I say
><ghajtaH>?  They are not moving at this point so I deemed <qeng>
>unsuitable, because it carries overtones of movement.

chaq <ngaSwI' woHta'> DaghItlhlaH.  wot mojaqmey mut Soch yIlIjQo'.

You might try "he [intentionally] had picked up the container."  An
aspect suffix seems to be an appropriate tool for this meaning.

>    "Adanji" is the name of the incense used in this ceremony.

<meQ> vIlaDDI' <qul> vIpIH.  "incense" meQmoH net nIDDI' chen tlhIch neH.
He'meH *'aDanjI tujmoHlu' DaH 'e' vISov.

When I see the word {meQ} "burn" I think of fire.  When incense is lit,
it doesn't produce flame; it merely smokes.  If you want to explain to
someone (like me) who doesn't already know what is going on, you need to
give a little more detail.  I now know that {*'aDanjI} is heated to make
scented smoke.

>>>qurInDaq 'adanjI' ngaSwI' vIHmoH
>>>     He moved the container (incense burner) forward so that the incense
>wafted toward Kurn.  I will change to <yuv>.

vIHmoHmeH meq vISovmo' <vIHmoH> vIyaj 'ej vIparHa'.  meq DaQIjpa' jImIS.
qatlh <qurIn ghoSmeH tlhIch ngaSwI' vIHmoH ghaH> DaghItlhbe'?

Now that I know why he moved it, I understand; {vIHmoH} makes sense in
that context.  If you had explained it to begin with I wouldn't have been
confused. :-)

>>jatlh wor'Iv:   lenglIj ngeDmoHjaj tajvam
>>A knife can't make the journey easy...
>     Here I must disagree...

vaj maQochtaH.  qay'be'.

>>>mup wor'Iv
>>*Worf* runs into/hits/strikes him?  He doesn't use the knife? :-) >I think
>you mean "attack", not "impact, strike".
>     Yes, Worf does use the knife, but, no, not an attack.  This is an
>ancient ceremony, as stylized, though perhaps not as complex, as the
>Japanese seppuku ceremony.

I think {mup} means "hit" as in "run into", but you mean something like
{DuQ} "stab", don't you?  If that's still not quite what you want, take
a look at the word {qIp}.

>>Not bad.  I notice you didn't say {qurIn lom}; should I infer
>>that he survived the ritual?
>     Yes, Bashir revived him.
>>wejpuH.  batlhDaj Suqqa'be'law'.
>     lutHom DaleghnIS  {{;-]