tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 22:39:34 1996

RE: betleH

Hetaq writes:
>waQchuqpu' betleHmey lo'bogh Humanpu' neH rap tlhInganpu'
>
>What I was trying to say was:
>  "Klingons by any other name are still just Humans with entangled betleHs."
>[...]
>What I ended up with translating back to English is:
>  "Klingons are only the same as Humans who use 'self obstructed' betleHs."
>'self obstructed' being the best I could do for the idea of 'entangled'.
>
>Any variations or corrections to this?

"self-obstructed betleHs" probably has to be said as a relative clause:
"betleHs which obstruct each other" {waQchuqbogh betleHmey}.  That makes
for a lot of {-bogh}s in one sentence, but it is understandable.

I don't know if we can use {rap} like this.  It's described as meaning
"be the same", not "be the same as".  I don't quite remember what it was,
but something in canon recently seemed to point to the right way to say
something like this.  The two things were conjoined as a plural subject,
and the verb had no object.