tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 13:09:10 1996

Re: qep'a' highlights

toH.  lugh Hoch. 'e' vIHarqu'

Well.  Everyone is right.  I really believe it.

Dave Schaefer is right when he reminds the list of the mission of the KLI, and
the obvious correctness of tantalizing KLI chu'wI'pu' (as well as potential
members) with tales of the wild linguistic orgies that routinely took place at
the qep'a'.

Alan Anderson is right when he reminds us that not everything he posts to the
list is intended for beginners.  He is entitled to posts when he's not wearing
his BG hat.

There is a growing feeling of elistism on the list, one which threatens (some
might say has already succeeded in) polarizing us into two camps.  While I
cannot dispute the charge of elistism, I would like to point out that those who
possess the greater skills in Klingon are not trying to exclude those who do
not, but rather are eager to bring them up to the higher level.

Everyone on this list started out at the bottom (with the possible exception of
Krankor who was born speaking Klingon), and some have moved faster than others
with the language or simply been at it longer.  If your command of the language
is not to the level that you'd like it to be, rather than looking upon the more
fluent language users as snobs see them as an inspiration and as affirmations
that it can indeed be done.

Meanwhile, back to the subject line of this post:

I'd like to encourage the 30+ attendees of the qep'a' to post to the list some
of their favorite "highlights" from the qep'a'.  If you've already done so in
Klingon, great, thanks, provide a translation if you like or not.  But there
were plenty of beginners and advanced beginners at the qep'a' who are probably a
bit too intimidated to post a lengthy report in Klingon (gee, I wonder why), and
we haven't seen *their* highlights in English yet either.

My highlight?  So much of it is a blur to me now because I spent too much time
dashing around making the trains run on time.  But for me the best part of the
qep'a' was meeting so many people, so many new faces, connecting with people I
have known only as posters from the mailing list or just names on a renewal
form.

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  :: http://www.kli.org ::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level