tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 13:08:55 1996

Re: Exhaustive word list

Thad Vick writes:

> Since there is apparently a demand, and it would be easy for me to do so, I
> volunteer to produce and maintain an exhaustive word list.

In a followup post d'Armond Speers pointed out (and quite rightfully, I believe)
that this might be a potentially dangerous thing to do, given the legalities and
the enthusiasm shown by Paramount lawyers in the past.

However, as Mark Shoulson has indicate such a list has been added to the KLI's
web site.  How can this be?  Are we talking out of both sides of our mouth?

The answer is "no, not at all."  Unlike other groups or individuals posting
information to the web for public consumption, the KLI is licensed by Paramount
with respect to the study and instruction of the Klingon language.  We are, in
the language of the lawyers, an "authorized user" of the materials.  As far as
we can tell, this should allow us to post the word list without backlash or
legal repercussions.

So, why haven't we done this thing before?  The KLI policy up to now has been to
resist making such a list possible for two main resasons: first, the number of
sources for canonical material was still quite small and second, that making it
available for such little effort would deter more serious effort and
scholarship.  While the second reason hasn't changed, we have to admit that the
first one has.  Canonical Klingon can now be found not just in TKD, and the
audio cassettes (CK and PK), but also in the CD-ROM, Okrands new book TKW,
SkyBox International trading cards, backissues of HolQeD, the new Microsoft Star
Trek network, and so forth.  This plethora of new material has to be looked on
as a good thing, and to continue to promote and support the language we need to
make it available in one place.

In doing so we hope our fears won't be realized, and that Klingon students will
track down the original sources (now that they know of them) and go over them
with the same care and effort that they applied to TKD.

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  :: http://www.kli.org ::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level