tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 31 11:40:49 1996

Re: how to say "any"

T::>Holmey law' jatlh DIvI', 'ach wa' "standard" neH jatlh Hoch.  wa' Hol
 ::>'oHchugh DIvI' Hol'e', vaj latlh Holmey DaqelDI' nuq Dajatlh?
 ::>The Federation speaks many languages, but only one "standard".  If "DIvI'
 ::>Hol" refers to just one language, how do you refer to the others?  (I
 ::>suppose you can use {tera' Hol} or something, but then what about the
 ::>Vulcans?)

 Given:
        {ngan} is "inhabitant"
        {Hol} is "language"

        {tera'} is "Terra"
        {vulqan} is "Vulcan" (the planet)
        {romuluS} is "Romulus" (the planet)

        {vulqangan} is "Vulcan" (the person/nationality)
                = "Vulcan (planet) + inhabitant"
        {tera'ngan} is "Human"
                = "Terra + inhabitant"
        {romuluSngan} is "Romulan"
                = "Romulus + inhabitant"

        The (possibly mythical) Vulcan language is the language
        of the inhabitants of Vulcan.

        The (possibly mythical) Romulan language is the language
        of the inhabitants of Romulus.

        The (possibly mythical) Terran language is the language
        of the inhabitants of Terra.

        {tlhIngan Hol} is the language of the inhabitants of the
        Klingon homeworld.

  Then, it follows that

        {vulqangan Hol} is the language of Vulcans (the
        inhabitants of Vulcan).

        {romuluSngan Hol} is the language of Romulans (the
        inhabitants of Romulus).

        {tera'ngan Hol} is the language of Humans (the
        inhabitants of Terra).

  This, of course, assumes that there is only one language (or
  one official language) on a planet.

  It also implies that Klingons originally were inhabitants of
  *{tlhI} or *{tlhIn}.  Wherezzat?

Jeff Zeitlin                                      [email protected]
---
 � OLXWin 1.00b � When I gave her the ring, she gave me the finger.

Back to archive top level