tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 30 10:53:52 1996

Re: qep'a' highlights (Hey let us in on it, guys)

Dave S. (HarwI'na') writes:
>...I'm not sure you have a full grasp of
>your "audience" -- in this case, those interested in learning tlhIngan Hol.

Daj tlhIngan Hol 'e' Harbogh ghot'e' law' law' tlhIngan Hol
ghojlI'bogh ghot'e' law' puS.  ghojwI'pu'na'vaD vIghItlhlI'.

I consider my "audience" to be slightly more restricted than that.  I
try to write for the benefit of those who are actually *engaged* in
learning tlhIngan Hol.

>You're assumption that we can all translate tlhIngan Hol successfully merely by
>pouring over TKD and flipping pages to and fro may be misguided.

ngoDqoqvetlh vIHarbe'bej!  Sumugh 'e' bonIDchugh SughojlaH 'e' vIHar.
SuQapnISbe'.  SunIDnIS neH.  Sumughqangchugh, SaboQqang.

I'm not making that assumption at all!  I just think that you all will
learn more from making the attempt at translation, even if it is not
successful.  I'm happy to help you -- if you are willing to try.

>In this way,
>communicating about such an important event as the qep'a' strictly in tlhIngan
>Hol, though it makes sense on the surface, erects a wall that many KLIers --
>and, perhaps more importantly, *potential* KLIers -- may not be able to climb
>over (depending on their level of learning).

"Dubotchugh, yIpummoH."

I don't consider it an obstacle; I consider it a challenge.  I have
offered to help anyone who is having trouble translating something,
but I expect whomever I am helping to make a real attempt to learn.

***
I will now remove my Beginners' Grammarian hat and speak
perhaps a bit more severely than is "proper".
***

I don't mean to sound elitist, but I still think that a person who is
not willing to expend the effort to try to translate a message doesn't
quite deserve the privilege of knowing what it says.

>You have to ask yourself:  What is
>the most effective way to communicate to my audience concerning this matter?
>Speaking in tlhIngan Hol to those who most likely attended the event, or in
>English for the benefit of those who didn't?

taghwI'pu'vaD jIjatlhnISbe' Hochna' vIghItlhtaHvIS jay'!  tlhIngan Hol
neH vIlo'ta'chugh, tlhIngan Hol yajwI'pu'vaD jIjatlhta'.  pItlh.

I don't intend everything I write to be just for beginners! If I use
only Klingon, I'm talking to people who understand Klingon.

Enough.

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level