tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 30 06:32:29 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu''a'

>Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 20:07:31 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>You've run afoul of Klingon Grammar Rule #6.2.5-c.  On page 66
>of The Klingon Dictionary, we are told that the second verb in
>a sentence-as-object construction never takes a type 7 suffix.
>*{...'e' X-pu'} is not legal.  I can't think of a good reason
>for it to be forbidden, but forbidden it is.

I wouldn't feel bad for missing this either; I call it "the obscure rule."
Personally, I suspect it was a mistake or backfit on Okrand's part, that
maybe he didn't think things through.  But then maybe he did and was being
difficult.  In any case, a rule it is.

~mark

Back to archive top level