tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 28 18:23:10 1996

Re: KLBC Re: *'atlantaDaq qaStaHvIS *'olImpIq

ghItlh SaraH:
>...chaq Sumbogh mInDu' vIlo'mo' Dun Qujmey vIleghlaHbe' jIH.
>...Perhaps because I am too close, I cannot see the games are great.
>
>(How did I do on that last sentence?  I kinda made a spontaneous idiom
>"Because I use eyes which are nearby...."

You translated it well, except for the missing word that is also missing
in the english.  The grammar requires it to be "...I cannot see *that* the
games are great" using a sentence-as-object construction (see TKD 6.2.5).
When the pronoun {'e'} is inserted in the proper spot in the sentence, the
subordinate clause {...vIlo'mo'} tends to associate with the verb {Dun}, so
I'd suggest putting it at the end of the sentence to move it closer to the
{vIleghlaHbe'}.

I will not comment on the idiom itself except to say that it makes sense.