tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 28 18:15:55 1996

Re: KLBC: jIyaj

qeq writes:
>I just bought a TKD and now want to try to makes some sentences tell e if
>theses are right please:

{qalobqangqu'.}  I'm happy to comply.

>jIchamwI' De'wI
>i am a computer technician

When saying something like this, Klingon uses pronouns as "to be" verbs.
(see TKD 6.3).  {chamwI'} is a noun, and cannot take verb prefixes.  To
say "computer technician" one puts the words in the same order as english
does: {De'wI' chamwI'}, literally "computer's technician".  Fixing it all:
{De'wI' chamwI' jIH}.

>tlhingan-hol jIbang
>I love the Klingon language

Red alert!  {bang} "loved one" is a *noun*.  It cannot be used this way.
Some people use {muSHa'} "mis-hate" for this meaning.

>megh ghorgh
>when's lunch

Question words like {ghorgh} usually come at the beginning of the sentence.
{ghorgh megh} might be understood as "clipped" Klingon, but it isn't a
complete sentence.  It needs a verb in order to be grammatically correct:
{ghorgh megh wISop?} "When do we eat lunch?"
{ghorgh qaS megh} "When does lunch happen?"

>mang vImojpu'
>I became a soldier

This triggers my "tense vs. aspect" alarm.

Your sentence literally says "I have become a soldier" -- or "I had become
a soldier" or "I will have become a soldier."  Klingon doesn't mark verbs
to indicate tense (past, present, future).  Whether {jISop} means "I eat"
or "I ate" or "I will eat" depends on other contextual clues.  Often the
specific time that something did/does/will happen is used: {wa'leS jISop}
"I will eat tomorrow" or {Sochvatlh rep jISop} "I ate at seven o'clock."

The type 7 verb suffixes have nothing to do with tense.  They indicate the
"aspect" of the action, whether it is complete, or whether it is continuous.
{jISoppu'} says nothing about whether I already ate or not, it merely talks
about the completed act of eating.  The eating might be completed last year,
or today, or next week.  Read TKD section 4.2.7 closely.

>beHwIj
>my rifle

Yes, this is an accurate translation of the word.  What do you want to do
with it? :-)

>These are just a few attempts at sentences. I hope they are partly right at
>least soon hopefully I will be good at writting tlhingan-hol.

These are good simple attempts (except the last attempt isn't a sentence at
all).  But the name of the language is {tlhIngan Hol} -- if you're going to
study it, you should spell it correctly.  "tlhingan-hol" is the name of the
*mailing list*, not the language.