tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 27 15:53:02 1996

Re: ghot jIchu'

Jeff Zeitlin writes:
>Subject: ghot jIchu'

Hi, Jeff; welcome to the list.  I'm your friendly neighborhood
Beginners' Grammarian, here to answer any questions you might have
about the Klingon language, and to gently correct your mistakes.
The list information message doesn't say anything about it, but
if you put the codephrase "KLBC" in the subject of a message, I
will try to read and reply to the message quickly.  (It stands
for Klingon Language Beginners Conference.)

So much for the gushing welcome; on with the gentle correction! :-)

Verbs like {chu'} "be new" don't work with objects.  The verb prefix
you chose, {jI-}, also says there is no object in the sentence.  The
word {ghot} is just sitting there, not attached to anything.  If you
want to say "I am a new person", you probably have to use a pronoun
as a "to be" verb (see TKD 6.3): {ghot chu' jIH}.  But as you noticed,
that's not literally what you meant.  Perhaps you can just say {jIchu'},
or maybe {naDev jIchu'}.

>I have The Klingon Dictionary (II ed), The Klingon Way, and the
>novel Kahless.  Some of the discussion I've seen (in English; I
>haven't yet had the time to sit down and translate the tlhIngan
>Hol) indicates that those three works in combination do not
>provide a complete list of words for the language.  Does such a
>list exist?  If so, where can I find it?

Many such lists exist, in the private collections of individual members
of the KLI and this mailing list.  There is no *official* list of the
post-TKD words (at least not yet).  The easiest way to obtain a (nearly)
complete set of new words is to purchase a set of back issues of the
KLI's quarterly journal, HolQeD.  Among the other useful articles there,
one often finds lists of words revealed by such things as the audiotapes,
the ST:Klingon CD-ROM, and even directly from Marc Okrand himself.

Or you can ask nicely here and maybe someone will send you a copy of a
new-word list by private email.  'ach bItlhobmeH tlhIngan Hol yIlo'!